This week in Science we finished our unit on SOL 5.4 Matter, and took our summative on Wednesday, grades are posted on Powerschool. We also began our unit on sound. We learned what sound travels in a wave, and we identified the parts of a sound wave.
We also explored how vibrations cause sound through a sound exploration activity. Check out the pictures below.
In math this week we continued our unit on geometry. We learned a cool way to determine the measures of the interior angles of a triangle. Check out the video below.
We took good use of our new chromebooks and complete our classwork on Schoology. Students are welcome to use completed task as review material at home. Students can see what problem they got wrong, and the correct answer. Next week, we will begin circles and transformations.
To access Schoology:
- Login to Clever.com
- Select Blue Schoology Icon
- Course (at the top right): Select Math or Science
- Here you will find graded assignments and you may click on the assignment to review.
We are working on the Science Review Card Challenge to synthesize all we’ve learned this year in preparation for the science SOL in May! Over the course of 16 weeks, students will study their science flashcards, take online quizzes, and celebrate their achievements with messy, explosive science experiments! Click here for an extra copy of the letter . Next weeks quiz is on 5.2A Sound & 5.2B Waves. (this is a change)
News and Updates:
Please support your child with the Moby Max Math Fact Fluency Challenge! A flyer was sent home last Friday. If you do not have a computer, then your child can access this program on a cell phone. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have questions or need technical support.
We would love to have you or someone you know present at Career Day! More info on the flyer below:
- March Field Trip Permission Slips!
- Americanism Essay Contest: Click here for a flyer about a fun essay contest!
- Panther Prowl: Hermitage HS is hosting a Panther Prowl (5K/Fun Run) on March 23rd. Flyers were sent home last week. Click here for the flyer.
- Tigers Lead T-shirts: Each fifth grader is invited to purchase a unique t-shirt created by his/her leadership team! These will be worn on VCU Market Day in March and Moving On Celebration in June. Click here for an extra copy. Orders due 3/1. Please contact me if you are in need of financial support. On March 22, we will visit Hermitage to learn about how our shirts are printed!
- VCU Market Day: On March 26th, fifth graders will travel to VCU for an extra special Market Day with students from across the Richmond area and even state! Unlike our typical Market Days, students will work in teams and most of the preparation will be done at school. Students do NOT need to start preparing items at home. Expect details about this exciting FREE event and permission forms soon.
Check out Ms. Brown’s blog to see what the students learned in Reading and Social Studies this week!
- MATH: Circles and Transformations
- SCIENCE: Sound
- READING: Figurative Language and Poetry
- SOCIAL STUDIES:Midwest Region of the United States
Week at Glance:
- Thursday,March 14th
- Midwest States and Capitals Quiz 3/14
- Friday,March 15th
- Field Trip to the Va Aquarium