Please click on the page links for 4th Grade or 5th Grade to see the weekly updates.
Spring has arrived – plants are growing, kids are spending more time outside, and the temperatures are warming up. With these changes, what we wear also changes. Parents – please be mindful of what your child wears to school to ensure that they are in compliance with the HCPS Code of Conduct – Dress Code. Thanks in advance for adhering to these expectations.
Dress code excerpt below from the HCPS Code of Conduct:
Students may not wear the following items unless otherwise stated:
- Hoods, hats, face masks, or head coverings of any kind inside school buildings during regular school hours, unless required for religious or medical reasons.
- The following items on school grounds during regular school hours: bandanas, do-rags, head scarves (with the exception of head garments for religious reasons), hair picks, wave caps, large combs, brushes, and rollers.
- Sunglasses, unless prescribed by a physician.
- Dresses, skirts, shorts, athletic shorts, and other similar clothing must reach the tip of the thumb when hands placed at the sides (arms straight with palms flat). When wearing leggings, tights, or similar apparel as an outer garment, tops must also reach the tip of the thumb.
- Messages on clothing, chains, jewelry, and personal belongings that pertain to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, sex, gangs, vulgarity, or that could cause a substantial disruption to the learning environment.
- Spiked jewelry, chains, and items which could cause student injury.
- Beachwear (which includes bathing suits and trunks) and sleepwear.
- Clothing that reveals undergarments.
- Cut-off jeans, cut-off sweat pants, or torn, ripped, or slashed clothing that reveals undergarments or body parts excluded by other parts of this code.
- Bedroom slippers or shoes with wheels, also known as “Heelys.”
- Clothing that reveals the midriff while sitting or standing.
- Clothing that is tight, skimpy, or with plunging necklines.
- Clothing that is see-through, revealing, or resembles undergarments.
- Tube tops, halter-tops, halter-top dresses, strapless dresses or tops or dresses with spaghetti straps (tops must be at least two inches wide at the shoulder).
- High heels or flip flops at the elementary level (Elementary students are encouraged to wear athletic shoes or closed toe shoes with a rubber sole and should wear such shoes for Physical Education and recess).