Finally, it feels like spring is here! Marking period 3 is now done and we are in the homestretch. I have some updates below. Please share with your student and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Have a great weekend!
- Grades will continue to be uploaded for MP3 until Wednesday 4/18. If your student completed the extra credit opportunities, the credit will be added to their lowest test/project grade in that subject.
- MP4 starts Monday 4/16
- Monday 4/16 is a half-day for students
- Monday 4/16 the Extra Credit Optional Peace Essay is due.
- We will have Reading Maps on Tuesday 4/17 Early birds will just take it when they come into school. We have completed our reviews and your student is aware of their RIT score from the fall and their projected RIT score for the spring. I believe they are fully prepared and know they will do their best. Please be sure your student has a good night’s rest and has a big breakfast. We will not have snack until all students are done testing.
- Wednesday 4/18 we will be going to Maymont. Your student will need to wear their class shirt, walking shoes and bring a bagged lunch (no glass).
- Thursday 4/19 we will have Math Olympiad and I will announce the Math Olympiad winners for this school year. We will continue Math Olympiad with our parent volunteers for a few more weeks.
- Friday 4/20 is Career Day at CTES! Thank you to all the parents that volunteered to present.
- The 5th Grade Celebration forms went home and are due 4/20/18. Please be sure to send the forms in and email the pictures needed for the slide shows.
- Mark your calendars! The 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony will be 6/14/18 from 9-10:30am.
- Monday 4/23 we will have Math Maps. Early birds will just take it when they come into school. We will be reviewing next week. Please be sure your student has a good night’s rest and has a big breakfast. We will not have snack until all students are done testing.
- Monday 4/23 will be spring pictures.
- Curriculum updates for the week of 4/16:
- Distributive Property- Final test on Friday 4/20.
- Language Arts-
- Conclude Poetry Unit. Quiz on Tuesday 4/17 and Final Test on Thursday 4/19.
- Novel Study projects on story bird. Propaganda Projects.
- Writing review of skills taught throughout the year.
- Review of writing process and complete writing portfolio assessments
- Begin persuasive essay
- Science- Electricity & Magnetism. Final test on Friday 4/20.
Race Cards: To help prepare for our Science SOL test that is quickly approaching (eek!), we will begin review all the 5th grade units through race cards. There will be given out for each student to borrow on a Friday & the quiz will be the next Thursday. This will serve 3 purposes: (1) it will help review the important vocabulary and facts for memorization to help prepare for the SOL test, (2) it will be grades for the (end of) 3rd 9 weeks & 4th 9 weeks for Science, & (3) the students who earn an 90% or better will earn extra recess on the Friday after their quiz!! A much needed break as we get into the SOL prep season for them to have another break from all their hard work & enjoy the beautiful warmer weather outside with their friends. The quizzes will be exactly what is on the cards with a word bank provided. The goal of these cards is to simply aid in memorizing all the vocabulary & facts for each 5th grade science unit. We will build on this in our in-class preparations to help them apply this information when answering SOL questions.
I also have attached the Updated 2017-2018 PTA Calendar and the