Good Morning Parents!
I have some updates below. Please share with your student and let me know if you have any questions. Please read the SOL updates carefully as there are many changes from previous years.
- The SOL schedule was sent home in a letter yesterday. Here are the dates:
- Reading May 7th (Part 1) & May 8th (Part 2)
- Math May 15th (Part 1) & May 16th (Part 2)
- Science May 23rd (One Day)
- SOLs will begin each day promptly at 8:30am. If your child is late on SOL days, they will not be permitted to enter the classroom until all students are done testing. They will be sent to the library to wait. *Early birds should come to class on time the Reading and Science SOL days and should let their middle school teacher know they are taking the SOLs those dates. They will take their Math SOL at the middle school. Once you know the date, please let me know so I can expect them late that day.
- Please make sure your child has a restful night and a big breakfast. We will not have snack until after all students are done testing.
- *NEW– We are not allowed to have snacks/treats before SOLs and are not allowed to have mints or gum. We are also not allowed to have words of encouragement or encouragement notes the day of SOL testing. No phones, watches, Fitbit, fidgets, or other electronics are allowed in the classroom. Please keep those items at home. If they are in class they will be collected and removed from the testing environment.
- We have begun our Reading and Math SOL reviews in class. Reading is the most challenging to review for. I need to emphasize to tell your students to take their time and go back and reread the passages as many times as they need to be sure they are choosing the correct answer. The questioning tends to be tricky and they should be going back to reread the passage several times.
- I have offered a reading sol practice opportunity on schoology under the reading folder. This is also an extra credit opportunity where the students can earn 5 points on their lowest reading grade for MP4. Both the fiction and nonfiction practice are due on Monday 4/30. I will be offering another reading extra credit opportunity this coming Friday 5/4. It will be uploaded on Monday 4/30 evening and will be due on Monday May 7th.
- We have begun our Math SOL review and will continue for the next 2 weeks in class. Students already have the Math homework for the next two weeks and can work at their own pace as long as each assignment is completed on its due date. For extra practice, students can go to schoology and under the homeroom folder there are websites for math practice.
- We will begin our science review at the end of this week once we complete our Solar System 4th grade review. We will review science in class for 3 weeks. For extra practice, students can go on schoology under the science folder to find SOL practice quizlets on all the SOLs for both 4th & 5th
- * After the Science SOL on May 23rd, we will conclude with Science and spend the rest of the year on Social Studies.
- We will have Math Olympiad May 3rd and the last one will be May 10th. Winners for the contest have been announced and the students will receive their awards at the Moving Up Ceremony on June 14th. Congratulations to all our winners! Thank you to all our volunteer parents!
Report cards will be send home on Monday 4/30
Graded folders will be sent home this week. Last week we did not have many assessments to send home.
Grades for MP4 will be updated by Monday night.
Have a great weekend!
Race Cards: To help prepare for our Science SOL test that is quickly approaching (eek!), we will begin review all the 5th grade units through race cards. There will be given out for each student to borrow on a Friday & the quiz will be the next Thursday. This will serve 3 purposes: (1) it will help review the important vocabulary and facts for memorization to help prepare for the SOL test, (2) it will be grades for the (end of) 3rd 9 weeks & 4th 9 weeks for Science, & (3) the students who earn an 90% or better will earn extra recess on the Friday after their quiz!! A much needed break as we get into the SOL prep season for them to have another break from all their hard work & enjoy the beautiful warmer weather outside with their friends. The quizzes will be exactly what is on the cards with a word bank provided. The goal of these cards is to simply aid in memorizing all the vocabulary & facts for each 5th grade science unit. We will build on this in our in-class preparations to help them apply this information when answering SOL questions.
I also have attached the Updated 2017-2018 PTA Calendar and the