About the teacher

Image may contain: 2 people, including Joanne Fields Andrews, people smiling, people standing, plant, tree, outdoor and nature Image may contain: Skip Andrews and Joanne Fields Andrews, people smiling, people standing

Students and families:

Welcome to the 2018-19 school year!  

My name is Jo Andrews (short for Joanne).  I am originally from right here in Glen Allen, Va., and I am a product of the Henrico County school system (Glen Allen Elementary, Brookland MS, Hermitage HS).  I returned to Virginia a few years ago after living in many different states for many years.  

I am a mom; my adult son, Nate, is 24 and lives in South Carolina.  I live in Ashland with my husband, Skip, a beagle named Virgil, Sam the cat, a frog and a leopard Gecko.  

This is my 15th year teaching.  I have taught almost every grade in elementary school, and I am also a former Art teacher!  I graduated with an Art degree from Furman University in Greenville, SC, (go Paladins!), and obtained my Master’s in teaching from Converse College in Spartanburg, SC.  

Over the summer, I worked hard and played hard.  In addition to teaching summer school, taking a painting class and tutoring, I enjoyed the outdoors by camping, kayaking, and visiting Virginia Beach.

If you would like to volunteer in any capacity this year, let me know, as I can always use help.  Even if you work full time, I can send things home that need to be sorted, cut out, etc.  Also, donations of small prizes such as pencils, small toys, trading cards, etc. are always appreciated.

Feel free to contact me for any reason.  I am here for you and your child, and I will be happy to answer any questions or concerns.  Contact me by email jandrews@henrico.k12.va.us, or send in a note.    My favorite way to communicate though is through Class Dojo.  Information will be sent home soon.

I have a feeling that this will be a spectacular year!  Thank you for sharing your child with me.  Check my blog and stay tuned for more information about Dojo!

Warm regards,

Jo Andrews