May 16

The Spread of U.S. Slavery Infographic

The Spread of US Slavery

Image Links to Original Interactive

Original Source – The Spread of U.S. Slavery, 1790–1860 Posted from Diigo via IFTTT

Possible Unit(s) of Discussion:

Westward Expansion, Civil War, Reconstruction

How to use in the classroom: 

This is one of the coolest interactive maps I have ever found. Along with creating the map, the author also wrote an informative post about what he learned from the map, which might be interesting to share with students. However, before sharing this article with your students, have them explore the map on their own. Students could discuss the following questions and use specific information from the map to justify their answers.

• What do you notice/wonder?
  • What role did slavery play in Westward Expansion?
  • Pretend this map was available in 1860. Role play one (or all) of the following individuals and react to the map:
    • Lincoln
    • A southern plantation owner
    • An abolitionist
    • A slave
    • A free African American
  • What role did slavery play in the Civil War?
  • If the Civil War had not happened, was the end of slavery “inevitable?”
  • It is 1865 and you are in charge of Reconstruction efforts in the South. Use this map to diagnose problems that must be addressed and propose possible solutions to these problems.

1 comment

1. Can you someday tell us more about thistopic? After reading your stuff I am scared I might not be the same. I am probably going to buy a real estate next week. {I’ll be subscribing to your feed for sure.|Don’t be afraid to share your thoughts.|I was reading on Tuesday when I discovered your website.|I’ve been an expert at this since about 1987.|Discovered you while on Pinterest and I’m so glad I did.|Got sucked into your insight forabout the last 30 minutes.|With so many conflicting bean bag reviews online how can anyone know which one to get?|This blog was… how do you say it? Great!|You’re clearly an expert on the subject soI have no doubt many of these ideas probably come easily to someone like you however, I’m still not understanding a few things you have said here.|I really enjoy what you are doing.|I’ve been using a tee shirt for a while now and I got to tell you that I’m a big fan.|This sure is a whole lot to try and comprehend and I’m not sure if I am able to fully understand what you’re saying.|You must be really proud of the work you’ve done here.|Thank you for writing this great page.|I was looking into a marketing consultant the other day but I still I just discovered these posts on Saturday. I used these insights to my life and they delivered really well for me. I think about your insights often while working and they really help me with my goals.