READING: Fourth grade wrapped up making inferences/drawing conclusions in fiction text this week. We will continue with this skill while focusing on nonfiction text next week! This week we looked at a variety of texts, including our guided reading books, to make inferences about the characters and story plots. Fifth grade continued to look at text structure. With our short week next week, this will roll over into Monday and Tuesday as well. We will take a reading summative assessment on the computer in both fourth and fifth on Monday.
WRITING: We are wrapping up our traditions writing book project! Students have worked so hard to create a book that a reader would want to read. We brainstormed a variety of topics and got to hone in on what really makes a tradition. While some traditions are more elaborate, others are the simple things we do weekly, monthly, or annually with the people that are important to us. With the holiday season among us, I am definitely excited to see how our books turn out. I sent home order forms this week. If you are interested in ordering, please do so!! I am sure that this will be something special for each student to have. If you are not interested in ordering, I completely understand! Your child’s work will still be published as long as you turn in the order form with the box checked YES or NO! 🙂 Thank you for your support on this!!
SOCIAL STUDIES: Fourth grade is wrapping up our Jamestown standard. We will finish up by identifying the importance of the General Assembly (1619) as the first representative legislative body in English America, identifying the impact of the arrival of Africans and English women to the Jamestown settlement, describing the hardships faced by settlers at Jamestown and the changes that took place to ensure survival, and describing the interactions between the English settlers and the native peoples, including the role of the Powhatan in the survival of the settlers. While it was our hope to get this covered before Thanksgiving break, it looks like this will roll over until after break! Look for a study guide to come home after break. Here is a link to help you study if you want to study during any travel/down time! 🙂 Also — The students really enjoy this song about Jamestown!! Fifth grade is starting our look into the regions! We will start with the southeast!
- Friday 11/16: IB applications due for fifth graders! PTO Spirit Night at Panera!
- Monday 11/19: Picture Day! Reading Summative Assessment!
- Tuesday, November 20: Report Cards Sent Home
- Tuesday, November 20: Award Celebration 1:30
- Wednesday, November 21st to Friday, November 23rd: Thanksgiving Break
- November 24th: On our class will have a second visit from the Young Scientist program. I sent home reminders with students today (Friday) about who has already paid and who has not so that when permission slips come home, you will be aware if you have already covered it!
- Christmas Mother: Trevvett is collecting non-perishable food items November 12-16 to support Henrico Christmas Mother. We need canned food, crackers, cereal, pasta, and peanut butter. Please send in what you can! Click here for details.