Friday 10/5 – Mr. Kaechele Day
Friday 10/5 – VS2 Virginia Regions Test
Friday 10/12 – Fall Festival
Friday 10/19 – Fall Pictures
- 4.16 Equality and Properties of Addition – Students will learn about equality and inequalities. They will understand an equal sign is like a balance scale and both sides of an equation have to be equal. example: 5+15 = 5×4. In addition they will review commutative property and learn associative properties of addition. (25 + 55) + 33 = 25 + (55 + 33)
- Enrichment – pre-Algebra with Hands On Equations
Language Arts –
- Vocabulary – we will build vocabulary several ways.
- Word of the Week: Students are asked to use ARDUOUS in written and spoken word.
- Wordly Wise Lesson 3 – quiz Friday 10/5
- Greek/Latin stems with Phobos (fear) and Syn, Sym (with/together)
- Fab Five words that will include synonyms and antonyms study. Students will use these 5 words in sentences: Quiz on Thursday 10/4
- Reading – Non-Fiction
- Comprehension Strategies: Non-fiction Text Features
- Non-Fiction features
- Writing –
- Mentoring Sentences in which students dissect a well written sentence.
- We introduced Wake Up Brain. This is an editing program and we will alternate this with Daily Dazzle twice a month.
- students will practice writing 2 paragraph essays.
Virginia Studies –
4.2 Regions – We finished this unit with the adaptations of American Indians to Virginia regions. This unit concludes on Friday 10/5 with a unit test.
During this unit students will locate on a map the following: border states, major waterways, the 5 Regions of Virginia and the products/industries in each region. Students will learn mnemonic devices to help:
Borders: Never Trust Kangaroos With Mac And Cheese
Rivers: Please Remember Your Jacket
Cities on the fall line: Alex likes Potatoes; Fred likes to Rap; King James was Rich
Regions: Always Vacuum Before People Find Crumbs