About Me

This will be my ninth year teaching 5th grade at Longan Elementary, and I’m so excited to help my students Go Places this year.   I am extremely fortunate to have a job that I love. Each day I strive to connect with my students and help them grow as individuals, become passionate about learning and equip them to succeed in their future. 

Prior to teaching at R.C. Longan,  I stayed home with my three children and substituted in Henrico County.   I attended James Madison University and majored in Elementary Education (grades 4-8). GO DUKES!!!  After graduating from college, I taught 6th grade for five years in Hanover County which has been a valuable experience in preparing Longan’s 5th graders for middle school.  I have an endorsement in Gifted Education which has provided me with a “toolbox” of techniques and strategies to reach the goal of  having each learner reach his/her potential.   

5507_james_madison_dukes-alternate-2002

Aside from teaching, some of my favorite things are exploring new places (especially if water & sunshine are involved), spending time with friends & family, reading, and going on boat rides when we have the opportunity to rent a boat.  🙂

My husband, Mike, and I grew up in the Richmond area, and raised our three children (Katherine, Thomas & Sarah) here.  Katherine works as a Junior Architect in New York City.  Our son, Thomas, is passionate about cars and is currently employed at Carmax Corporate here in Richmond.  Sarah is a third year student at the Univeristy of Virginia double majoring in English & Linguistics and minoring in American Sign Language.   

Our family also includes a small Shih Tzu (pronounced Shee Zu) named Lucy who my students will hear about LOTS.

35 thoughts on “About Me

• Hi Ashley,
      I’m so proud of you for already thinking about your performance task. There is no specific number of slides you need to have if you decide to make a presentation. As long as you identify an enviornmental problem and offer several possible solutions you’ll be fine.

❤️ Mrs. Beam

1. Hey Mrs. Beam so me and my brother were looking at songs that we liked and found this song https://youtu.be/GvkrC4HSLkM . The song is about phases of the moon. I know that you don’t have any songs about moon phases and that the whole unit is basically over, but it’s a good song.

• Hi Anna,
      I just had the chance to watch & listen to the video you found! I love it! If you remind me, I’ll show it in class tomorrow afternoon. I think your classmates will like it, too.

Thanks so much!
      Mrs. Beam 🙂

2. I am having trouble connecting my school e-mail (hcps-hangnp) to google slides. Please help me find a way to do work over the weekend. Maybe I can work on it with my home e-mail and send it to you or Mrs. Jobe. Mrs.Jobe was the one who said we can work on it over the weekend. ( The project that she is making us do)
    Thanks a lot,
    Anna

• Hi Anna,
      I’ve always heard that elementary students don’t have access to use their Henrico email address until middle school. Is the project in your Google Drive, which needs your email credentials? I can ask my daughter when she’s here. Since I’ve never used a student account, I may not know the best way to help you. I’ll let you know what I find out.

Mrs. Beam

• The project is in Google Slides. It said that I didn’t I have access to the account when I tried to log in. Thanks, Anna

• Anna,
          I’m sure you logged out of your other google account first, right? I see you have a gmail address. When I’m at home, I often have challenges escaping the home login account to access the school login account. I’m sorry this probably isn’t helping much. We can ask Mrs. Hues tomorrow because she’s supposed to be at Longan.

Mrs. Beam

3. Hey I was wondering since will learn some of the periodic tables if you would like for me to send in the song I have I can send a link .

Love,
    Anna ❤️

4. Hi! Mrs.Beam I’m sorry I haven’t come back to visit yet and I wish you best with your class and I am so happy Gabbie got first place I know it’s a little late but can you tell her congrats from me and I will try my best to visit and I got all A’s and it was because of you so thank you and I hope too see you soon!

• Hi Angelina! Congratulations on earning All A’s! I knew you could do it…I’m glad that all your hard work last year paid off. You’re such a great student & I know you’ll go far. Thank you for emailing me. I told Gabby what you asked and it made her smile. 🙂

Love,
      Mrs. Beam

• Thank You for telling her she a really good friend of mine and super nice and thank you as well for responding back. Again I will try to visit soon to see you hopefully I can before the end of the school year.

5. Hello Mrs.Beam it’s me Sophia.I wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!I realized it was November 6th!!!!You can see my other message on SCHOOLOGY yesterday.I am having a great time in middle school.Plz Reply!!!!!

• Hi Sophia! Thank you for remembering my birthday…you are such a thoughtful person! I’ll look for your other message in Schoology. We don’t use it that often in 5th grade, but I’m having my students go there once in a while to get them accustomed to it because I know they’ll use it lots next year. I’m so glad you’re enjoying middle school…I knew you’d do great!

Mrs. Beam

• Nam,
      I’m so happy to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to let me know how middle school is going. I knew you’d do a great job. Lots of kids have trouble with the lockers at first, but by now you’re probably a pro. Please tell all our former classmates I said “hello.” Have a great half day!

Mrs. Beam 🙂

• Hi Mrs.Beam it’s Jaylah Young! How are you? I am progessing really well in my Science class, by the way! I have an average of 95.7 ! Sorry I could not get back to you from when you sent me the letter, but I read and I went on vacation the same weekend that you went on vacation! I just wanted to say hello and Thank You for being such a great teacher! I have to go because I have LOTS of homework to do!

– Jaylah Young

• Hi Jaylah,
        It’s great to hear from you! I’m so pleased that you’re doing well in middle school, but I knew you would. 🙂 I hope you’ve been able to connect with friends from Longan as well as meeting new ones from other elementary schools. Enjoy your time at Holman, and I hope to see you sometime.

Mrs. Beam

6. Hi Mrs. Beam! The first week of middle school was great! I had a little bit of trouble opening my locker and finding my classes but I guess I got used to it:)

7. Hey Mrs.Beam!!! How are you? A lot of your students from last year said they miss you!! This is from Mackenzy, Talaysia, Andrew, Haley, Jaylynn!!! We miss and love you hope you had a good year of school hope you class wasn’t bad.

• Hello to all of you! I miss each & every one of you, and have wondered how you’ve enjoyed middle school. I had another good year at Longan, and will be moving my classroom next year to Mrs. Graham’s old room. Tell Andrew that I still have the California key chain on my ring of keys. I love hearing from you…you’ll always be super special to me. Have a fabulous summer! Love, Mrs. Beam