All About Ms. Taylor

408552_10151403595993617_867797019_n
My favorite place-our family summer home in the mountains of New Hampshire!

Thirty-nine years (this is the fortieth!) of teaching and still going strong! That’s one reason I decided to become a teacher–every day is different and exciting. I started teaching third grade when Shady Grove opened and have stayed in third grade except for teaching fourth grade for two years! Before teaching at Shady Grove I was a third grade teacher at Maybeury Elementary for a year, and before that I taught in Fredericksburg, Va. I really love being with kids, so choosing teaching as a profession was easy for me. Not only are kids a lot of fun, but I also love seeing the “light bulb” go on as they learn new things. Hearing the words “Oh! I get it now!” when we’re working on fractions (math is my favorite subject to teach) makes teaching worthwhile. Sharing new facts about Ancient Greece and Rome is a close second! But wait…I’m getting ahead of myself!

I’m a “born and bred” Virginian! My family always lived in the Old Dominion while I was growing up because my dad worked for the power company. I began my life in Alexandria, where I was born 63 years ago! Moves followed to Norfolk, Richmond, Newport News, and back to Richmond for good when I was in middle school. My sisters Dody (two years older) and Prue (two years younger) and I were very close growing up and still are! We were always outside riding bikes, jumping ropes, or putting on “shows” in our backyard. Then, when I was ten, my brother Tim came along! We all loved being second mothers and spoiled him rotten. Tim is a retired Air Force pilot now and we still spoil him! Summer vacations growing up were spent visiting grandparents in both New Hampshire and Colorado, and we all still enjoy getting together in both places with the large number of aunts, uncles, and cousins on both sides of the family!

As you can tell, I love being with family! I am an aunt to nine nieces and nephews, from Corrie, who is 36, to Margaret Paige, who turned 12 on August 22nd! I am also a great aunt to Rilynn, who is 10, and Lucy, who just turn 1! Spending time with them is my idea of fun! I also love to sing! After graduating from the College of William and Mary, I lived and taught in Fredericksburg, Virginia for thirteen years before returning to Richmond. While there I joined a community chorale group and was a member until several years ago, when I “retired”!   I still volunteer with the group! Church is also important to me. My church, Hope Evangelical Presbyterian, moved into our new building several years ago. If I have any “down” time, you’ll find me with a book (a real one, with pages that I can turn) in my hand! I love to read contemporary adventures and thrillers (David Baldacci is a favorite!). I’ll always pick up a book instead of cleaning my house, which is something I don’t enjoy doing! If I ever get tired of teaching and decide to retire, I’d love to travel. I enjoy going places during my summer vacations and would love to have the chance to travel even more.

I have been richly blessed with a loving family, a great job, and wonderful friends and activities I enjoy participating in. Life couldn’t be better!