Lots of important event coming up next week. Be sure to check the Events and Reminders section at the bottom!
5th: In science this week we began our review unit on the Weather! To kick it off students were able to hear guest speaker Megan Wise, meteorologist from NBC channel 12. She explained the different data meteorologist collect, how they use the green screen and why it is important we know what type of weather is coming our way! Students then completed a review foldable on the different types of tools a meteorologist uses to study the weather. Next week we will begin collecting weather data!
4th: 4th graders started their new unit on the Solar System! We are very excited to delve into the unit! Students used prior knowledge to show what they know on a KWL and so we could collect questions to research as a class. Students also learned about different astronomers and their contrabutions to our understanding of the solar system. Students learned about one of the grestest astronomers Tycho Brahe and his missing nose. Check out the TED ed video about him we watched in class.
5th: This week we started our first M3 (M cubed) unit. These units are geared to a higher level thinking about math and not just computation of factors. Students will walk through fractions, not only learning how to compute but also gaining a strong understanding for why things work out the way they do in math. They will learn how to articulate what they are doing and how to work through the process. Check out the website for M3 if you’d like to learn more!
4th: This week students have been practicing various strategies for 2×2 multiplication. Students learned how to do the traditional stacking method and why we add a place holder zero, lattice, box and cluster and partial product. Students ended the week with a logic puzzle involving 2×2 and 3×1 multiplication skill!
Looking for another way to support your child in math? Check out Trevvett’s new YouTube channel! Click here to see step-by-step math tutorials and K-5 tips to try at home! We will update with new videos at the start of each new math unit this year.
NEXT WEEK @ A GLANCE
MATH: M3 Fractions
SCIENCE: Solar System
EVENTS AND REMINDERS NEXT WEEK
- Monday, 11/12: PAW Achievement Trip to see Junie B Jones play at Hermitage HS! This is a FREE trip, but students need signed permission forms (sent home Wednesday). Parents are welcome to chaperone. Please contact me if interested!
- Tuesday, 11/13: Veterans’ Day Assembly
- Wednesday, 11/14: Field trip to Luray Caverns and JMU! Please note these reminders (sent home today).
- Forms and $4 Fee for YMCA Trip Due
- IB Applications Due
- PTO Spirit Night at Panera
- YMCA Field Trip: On December 7th, our class will travel to the Northside YMCA for an aquatic safety lesson to support Mr. Holscher’s PE content. Please return signed permission forms (sent home on Wednesday) and the $4 fee by next Friday, 11/16. Contact me with questions. Chaperones are welcome (for FREE)!
- Christmas Mother: Trevvett is collecting non-perishable food items November 12-16 to support Henrico Christmas Mother. We need canned food, crackers, cereal, pasta, and peanut butter. Please send in what you can! Click here for details.