This past Friday, students took home their Social Studies Journal Cover assignment. This is a fun, creative homework project that asks students to spice up their social studies notebook. We spent some time in class on Friday previewing our Virginia Studies curriculum for the year, and looking through our textbooks. They should have identified two themes for their journal cover, related to our Virginia Studies curriculum. The directions are detailed on a yellow paper that should be in the HW section of their accordion folder. I’ve attached the directions here for your reference as well. This assignment is due Friday, September 14. Please don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions!
Thanks for a fabulous first day of fourth grade!
Happy Summer! If you’re look for a fun way to keep the brain active and get out of the heat this summer, check out some of these awesome, FREE programs offered by Henrico County:
- 2018 Summer Reading Club (June 1 – August 31)
- Henrico County Recreation & Parks and Public Libraries Program Guide
- Henrico County Public Libraries Featured Events
It’s hard to believe the school year has come to an end. Ms. Connolly’s Crew has had a fabulous fourth grade year. Every student has learned and grown in so many ways this year. I am beyond PROUD of them!
We kicked off our last day of school today with a long family meeting, during which we all shared something we admire or value about each other. It is so inspiring and heart-warming to see the love and compassion these students have for each other. What an incredible group of young Mallards!
Many thanks to our parents for all you’ve done to make this year possible, fun-filled, and so memorable! A special shout-out to Mr. Vera for sharing beautiful photos from field day. Please see the link below to check them out!
Wishing you a safe and happy summer!
I have had quite a few questions about logging into Google Drive from home. Please know that it is OPTIONAL for students to complete their Jamestown Project in Google Driver. However, there are several advantages to using Google Drive for the project (automatic savings, access from home/school, easy feedback from me, etc.). Here are some directions for accessing Google Drive from home. Please note, these directions also explain how to access Schoology. You will only need the first part of the directions to access Google Drive.
We are so excited to begin our Jamestown unit in Virginia Studies today! Today students will learn about their first project assignment in fourth grade – the Jamestown Project. We will discuss the 3 options for their project in class today. On Monday, they will take home their purple project assignment form in their yellow folder. Please take the time to review all 3 project options with your child. Your child must choose 1 option and submit the signed form by Wednesday, November 8. Thank you in advance for your support and collaboration!
Please see the project assignment attached as a PDF: Jamestown Project – Connolly
I can’t wait to see you at Open House! Stop by our classroom (D-15) tomorrow (Thursday, August 31) between 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Families whose last names begin with the letters A-M should plan to come at 1:00 pm. Families whose last names begin with letters N-Z should plan to come at 2:00 pm.
- Families who did not register to use ZippSlip (online forms) will need to complete 3 paper forms upon arriving to the classroom. Your yellow communication folder with bus assignment will be given to you after these forms are completed and turned in.
- You may park across the street at Welborne church if necessary. Please be careful crossing Maybeury Drive.
- Our wonderful PTA and Cafeteria Manager will be stationed in the Cafeteria. Spirit Wear will be available for purchase! Our Cafeteria Manager, Ms. Shannon Woodley, will be available to answer any and all questions regarding School Nutrition Services.
- Our administrative team will be located at the front of the school to register Car Rider tags to all parents who will be picking up their child(ren) in the car loop in the afternoons. You must have your ID to receive a car tag. Any parents who do not register tomorrow will need to come into the school office on Tuesday and register with the Registrar to receive a tag. Car tags must be visible each afternoon to allow our students to be released safely.
- Our Registrar and Financial Secretaries will be available to handle any registration questions if necessary. Families who need to complete the registration process need to bring the required documentation before your child can begin school on Tuesday.
Ms. Connolly’s class had a fantastic Friday today! We were grateful to have a guest teacher from Jamestown Outreach bring some artifacts for us to explore! We enjoyed the beautiful weather and a delicious broccoli snack at our Garden lesson. Good luck to all of the participants in tonight’s talent show! It’s hard to believe it’s almost May – see you on Monday!
Here is a great resource for your children to use as a study tool for Virginia Studies. This Porta Portal website has links to reviews, study guides, and games for each unit of study in our Virginia Studies curriculum. Enjoy!
As you know, our MAPS Reading Assessment date has changed. Students will take this test on Wednesday, April 5, 2017. Please note, this is the Wednesday before spring break.
As the “Measures of Academic Progress” assessment, the goal of MAPS testing is for each student to show growth from when they took this assessment in the fall (September 2016). In the 2+ months I have had the pleasure of working with your students, I have watched each of them grow tremendously. They have made incredible progress in fourth grade! They have so much learning to show off on this test!
If you would like to review for the MAPS Reading test at home, I encourage your child to use Study Island. Students can access this website at home via Clever. They will need their HCPS username/password to login to Clever. From the MES Library blog, the first link on the top right sidebar will connect you to Clever. Please let me know if you have any trouble accessing Study Island.
To learn more about MAP Testing, please see this HCPS Brochure: http://henricoschools.us/pdf/Schools/NWEAbrochure.pdf