Happy New Year!! Week of January 3 – 4

Welcome back, everyone!  I hope you all had a wonderful winter break with your families!  I had a wonderful 2 weeks spending time with my family and friends.  Happy 2019!

I also wanted to thank you all SO MUCH for all of the generous gifts you gave me before winter break.  Thank you for all of the treats, cards, gift cards, and other thoughtful gifts!  It made me feel truly appreciated, and I definitely enjoyed eating and using them!  🙂

*Classroom prizes:  Our class could use some additional classroom prizes.  If anyone is able to donate items, we would truly appreciate it!  The Dollar Store is a great place to find these kinds of items.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

*What Are We Learning In Class?*

*Reading:

When we return from Winter break, students will finish their writing about winter using sensory words.  Their poems are very descriptive and vivid!  After they are done, they will type them on the computer so we can display our work.

We will also spend some time over the next 2 days reviewing some of the important nonfiction reading strategies we learned earlier this year – “stop and jot” for important information, using “boxes and bullets” for main idea and details, and making inferences (“I read, I know, I infer”).

We will not have word study since this is such a short week, but we will pick back up with our word study process when we have our first full week on January.

*Math:

We will continue with our unit on long division when we return from break.  First, we will review 3-digit Type A long division (which we learned before break), and then move on the learn about Type B 3-digit long division.  In these problems, the divisor will be less than the first digit of the dividend.  An example of this type of problem would be 648 divided by 4.  Students will discover that they will need to go through the “D M S C B” steps more than before.  Thank you in advance for checking in with your child to see how he or she is doing with this process.

*Science:

This week we will continue our unit on the Earth, moon, and sun.  We will learn and discuss the causes of day and night, the difference between rotate and revolve, and why we have different seasons.  Ask your child if they can tell you the “2 reasons we have seasons” ( 1.) the Earth revolved around the sun, and 2.) the Earth is tilted on its axis).  The class will take a short astronomers quiz on Friday, 1/4.  Students will also take the Vocabulary Quiz on the Earth, moon, and sun vocabulary words on Tuesday, January 8th.  Please encourage your child to be working on these words using their notes and the flashcards that we will be making in class.

*Social Studies:

We will not start a new social studies unit until next week.

Enjoy the short week!

-Mrs. Jacobsen