Review: Vulnerable

by Kristen Ellis

While other bands have turned to different genres, The Used have managed to provide fresh sound and variety while staying true to their emo-pop roots. Their new album “Vulnerable” is one of their best since the band had 100% percent creative control.

Both growth and experimentation are obvious. “This Fire” has a strong contrast between the verses and the chorus. The verses use a violin and soft singing while the chorus has heavy drums and screaming. “Hands and Faces” includes electronic beats, but the song is aggressive and may remind fans of older songs like “Liar Liar” and “Born to Quit.”

Filled with intensity and surprises, the album has examples of the dark moods and explosive choruses that fans will find familiar.

Other songs are typical of the band like “Getting Over You,” a slow love song, which they include on all their albums. “Together Burning Bright” is also typical, but it has a twist, sounding similar to “We Are Young” because of the steady drumbeat and rhythm.

“Vulnerable” has many catchy songs. “Shine” has a radio-ready chorus that is sure to inspire and get in a person’s head. “Hurt No One” is an inspiring song people can connect with. The lyrics are honest: “I thought that I could stay the same/And now I know that I’m not sure/I even love me anymore.” Singer Bert McCracken’s vocal ability is revealed on tracks like “Moving On.”

“Vulnerable” is different from the band’s older material. Not every song on the album is a winner, but there is a spark that hasn’t been heard from McCracken’s voice in a while. The album shows The Used has grown and changed but is still true to its original, and best, sound.

Permanent link to this article: https://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/bluedevilsadvocate/2012/05/21/review-vulnerable/