Survivor Letter

Virginia Holocaust Museum

2000 East Cary Street

Richmond, VA 23223

12/3/2014

Dear Mr. Schapelhouman,

I am the museum curator at the Virginia Holocaust Museum. I have come across I photograph that I would like to find out more about. I thought that second hand sources just wouldn’t do. I have come to the knowledge that you are a survivor of the Mauthausen concentration camp containing the “staircase of death”. Your story directly correlates to my photograph and I was curious as to whether you would be interesting in sharing some of your knowledge with me. I would love you use your story in the museum exhibit if that is okay with you? Could you tell me what kind of things you were forced to do? Do you know of anyone else, have any friends or family that were liberate when you were?  In the picture I have these people are carrying what looks to be some kind of heavy rock, could you tell me if you were forced to carry the rock and about how heavy you think it was? I am very excited to hear more about your interesting story and very much look forward to your response. I thank you very much for taking your time and effort to share information with me about what I can only assume was a very hard time in your life.

Sincerely,

Holden Fiedler