I wanted to mention a few dates for the week and beyond:
Oct. 8th – No School for students (Teachers in countywide classes)
Oct. 9th – Chipotle Spirit Night (PTA)
Oct. 10th – Young Scientists! 1-2:30pm
Oct 10th – Weather Quiz (4.6 review from last year – a study guide was sent home last week)
Oct. 11th – Reading Assessment: Test on Fiction (summarizing, main idea, theme, character traits, plot, and predicting with evidence)
Oct. 12th – Donuts with Dad (7:30 – 8)
Oct 12th – Picture Day
Oct 26th – Fall Family Movie Night (PTA)
Nov. 1st – Math and Science Ctr. Field Trip (Goldman’s class only)
We had such a fantastic time on our field trip to the James River! I have a few others photos to post, but these were so wonderful! <3
Thank you for sending your kiddo on this fantastic adventure!
Here are a few notable dates you might want/need:
Oct. 4 – Gifted Parent Information meeting 6:00-7:00 We will share the gifted identification process and answer your questions.
Oct. 9 – PTA School spirit night at Chipotle near Short Pump Town Center 4:00 – 9:00
Oct. 12 Donuts with Dad 7:30-8:00 8-8:30 Speaker in Internet Safety following in the cafeteria. Donuts with Dad.pdf
Oct. 12 Individual Picture Day
Oct. 24 – Robotics assembly for the students during the school day – sponsored by the PTA
Oct. 26 – PTA Fall Family Movie Night
Nov. 5 PM Parent Conferences – teachers will send out a Signup Genius to register
Nov. 6 – AM Parent Conferences – teachers will send out a Signup Genius to register; no school for students today
We were having issues with our schedule and 5th grade didn’t have a shared recess time. That was frustrating because many of the kiddos weren’t seeing their friends from last year and we know that in their last year of elementary school it’s important to maintain those relationships. The schedule isn’t perfect, but Mr. Eggleston has adjusted it to allow us to have more of a community for our grade level and it allows them to spend time together.
I’ll embed a PDF of this, as I know it’s hard to see/small.
Thanks for your understanding.
Here’s the info you need for Tuesday’s trip. Let me know if you have any questions.
Above are the important dates for the week.
My math class is also having a quiz on even/odd and prime/composite numbers on Friday.
We are also starting Science on Wednesday (hoooooooray!) We will be reviewing the Scientific Method and completing an experiment. The test for that unit will be October 3rd. I will provide a study guide on 9/26 when we start the unit.
I hope everyone has a fabulous week. 🙂
I hope everyone enjoyed that unexpected bonus day off! I know the teachers did, as we’re catching our breath from all the beginning of the year things.
- Please send in ALL money for the James River field trip. We need that money in by Tuesday, Sept. 18th. This includes their T shirt money.
- Tuesday Folders will go home on Tues, Sept. 18th. You should have a stapled packet of work with graded items and classwork. I believe PowerSchool goes live for elementary students on 9/24, so you can check on grades then. I didn’t have enough to send home last week, so I didn’t do a formal packet. This week I will.
- Young Scientist permission slips will also go out in the Tuesday folder. Keep your eyes open for that. They will visit us 5 times over the course of the school year and they’re amazing.
- Wednesday, Sept. 19th is a half day for students.
- Thursday, Sept 20th is Back to School Night if you’d like to come in and get an overview of the year and the expectations.
- Students should be reading 20 minutes a night and please check that they are completing homework. I haven’t been sending home much, but what I do send home is always good review.
Update: Tuesday, Sept 18th there is a planned Signal Blue drill. We will review expectations, but I wanted to be sure parents were aware of the practice drill and we will carry on with learning as planned once it is over. It will be in the morning.
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
We had a fantastic first week! It was really lovely getting to know all the new faces and meet so many siblings too. A few announcements:
- We are a nut free and a fish free classroom, due to allergies. I’ll have a sign hung shortly, but for snacks, I wanted to be sure that we all are on the same page.
- Field Trip! Our first trip is will be in October and you’ll be receiving information shortly on that. So check their Tuesday folders this week. We will also be ordering our class T-shirts for that field trip at the same time. So money for both of those can be paid at one time. I’ll let you guys know, as soon as I know.
- Scholastic Book Clubs are sent home throughout the year. I order things for the classroom all year long and I offer to do so for students too. If you’d like to do that online, my classroom code is: HQB7L and if you’d prefer to send in a check, that’s fine too. I will accept cash, but only for the exact amount, as I never have the proper change on me!
- Remind App – I sent many of you an invitation for Remind. I will be using that throughout the year to communicate quickly about field trips, money due, last minute changes, and other things. I will also send out emails periodically, but let me know if you haven’t gotten an invite from me and I’ll resend it. Also, the class code is goldman217 in case your significant other wants to be added too.
I hope you all are having a fantastic weekend. 🙂
I’m trying really hard to get my room ready for your first visit on Thursday! Please feel free to bring your school supplies. Also, I’ve moved rooms and you can find me in 217 this year. We will have quite the walk to get to PE/lunch, but it will keep us active!
If you haven’t already, please take a look at the PTA’s new website. It’s really well done and all PTA sponsored events can be paid online. YEAH!!!
Enjoy your last few days and I can’t wait to meet you all.
I hope everyone is still enjoying their summer break! I have been taking courses and reading so many novels I plan to incorporate into my class this year. I’m still relaxing with my family and spending as much time in my pajamas as humanly possible. I look forward to meeting everyone in two weeks. 🙂