Leaders, Leaders Everywhere!

Teacher(s) Name: Mrs. Griffin

School: Skipwith ES

Grade Level(s): Kindergarten

Content Area(s): Civics, US History

Lesson Summary

After reviewing some famous Americans that we’ve learned about throughout the year, it naturally led into a discussion about how we can grow to become good leaders. I wanted my students to understand that they have the power to be a good leader now, as well as the opportunity to become one down the road. I wanted them to see that the qualities of a good leader exists in themselves, or are easily within their reach. The future of America sits in those chairs everyday and it’s up to us as teachers to help them realize their full potential. By introducing my students to local community leaders, and helping them relate to leaders of the past, I reached my goal. I kept my students engaged by exposing them to a variety of communication and digital tools: Skype, TodaysMeet, ChatterPix and Pixie. We encouraged each other during group work and celebrated our finished projects. My students continue exhibiting qualities of good leaders without even realizing it! I hope they remember some of the things we learned and hold those qualities close as they grow.

TIPC Ratings

Research & Information Fluency

Rating:Entry – Explanation: We read books about our famous Americans, both past and present, we watched BrainPop Jr. videos, and learned from FlipCharts created by teachers. Our research was mainly teacher-directed, as the students are mostly emergent readers. The students followed my directions to complete assignments and responded well.

Communication & Collaboration

Rating: Approaching – Explanation: I modeled a range of communication and digital tools. We used Skype, TodaysMeet, Pixie and ChatterPix. I encouraged the students to collaborate together without much assistance from me. The students successfully formed their own teams and decided upon a person and method of presenting their information.

Critical Thinking & Problem Solving

Rating: Developing – Explanation: Though there was a lot of direct instruction, and I helped guide their thinking while we developed questions, the students responded and elaborated and showed critical thinking skills appropriate for their age group. The also used digital tools to show how they thought critically.

Creativity & Innovation

Rating: Developing – Explanation: Again, I used a lot of direct instruction, but I reached all of my learners where they are. We made connections between our curriculum, current events and the world in which they live each day. The students were given personal choice within set limits, and were able to summarize their knowledge using digital tools.

Student Artifact

Lesson Materials

H21 Lesson Artifacts